- Remember - Always apply a few drops of Smith's premium Hone Solution to your stone before you start sharpening. The lubricant floats away metal and stone particles that develop during the sharpening process.
- Assembly - Mount T-Bars tightly onto the end of the knife clamp then screw a guide rod into the end of each stone bar.
- Position of Blade - Attach the knife blade by loosing the front screw and red thumb screw of the knife clamp in order to accommodate the thinkness of your blade. Attach clamp to back of blade at the midpoint of the blade. Seat the blade in the vise so at least 1/4 inch of the blade's cutting edge extends out beyond the end of the vise unit. Tighten front screw to hold knife in place and to lock knife into place tighten large thumb sccrew on knife clamp. Do not overtighten either screw. Caution, do not attempt to sharpen your knife if it is loose in the clamp.
- Angle Selection - After you have secu...eat the same sharpening process. Use the same number of strokes on each side of your cutting edge and sharpen both sicdes of your cutting edge before moving to the next stone.
- Sharpening Serrated Edges - To sharpen serrated edges, use the blue stone bar with specially shaped trianglar stone and repeat step four for each serration on the serrated side of knife only. Once you have finished the sharpening process you need to remove the small burrs that are created on the backside of our edge by removing our knife from the clamp and running the Fine Arkansas stone lightly over the backside of the cutting edge.
To clean a clogged stone, simply wipe with a rag or rinse under warm running water.
HONING SOLUTION WARNING: IF INGESTED, DRINK SEVERAL GLASSES OF WATER TO DILUTE. DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING UNLESS DIRECTED TO DO SO BY MEDICAL PERSONNEL. NEVER GIVE ANYTHING BY MOUTH TO AN UNCONSCIOUS PERSON. GET MEDICAL ATTENTION.